Sunday, July 7, 2013

A lovely first few days.


Namaste! I'm sorry this post is late!
First: a picture from the welcoming orientation on Thursday! Sorry it's so blurry! We're wearing traditional Indian welcoming garlands. From right to left, not counting myself: Paulina, Maddie, Taylor, Greta, and Esther. :) It's a wonderful group of people we have on this trip.


Now - our first day of school, as well as our first day of Hindi lessons in school. It was both exciting and overwhelming at the same time. My family is so supportive of my relatively feeble attempts and common mistakes I make when trying out Hindi words. :)

Dadi (grandma) suggested that I write down everything I eat in my notebook, and she's always teaching me a new word or how to say what I'm eating. I feel so incredibly blessed to be with the family I am with. I specifically remember praying for a family I could truly laugh with, and there has been so much laughter in the family so far.

That afternoon we went to the recreation center to swim with Khushi and Arnav. Khushi let me borrow her bathing suit and swim cap (swim caps are required for the pools), and we had a lot of fun seeing who could hold their breath longest and racing. :) I taught them Marco Polo, and then Arnav came up with a game that was essentially tag, but in the pool. He is such a cute kid with so much personality - he's always making us laugh. Today he asked: "Do cars have lights in America?" Haha. Yes. :) Some things and longings are globally widespread, I'm finding; both materially and ingrained in all humanity alike.

After dinner, mami told me that "fufu" and "bua" (uncle and aunt) were coming. I thought for sure she meant tomorrow, but right around 11 pm they walked in the room, sat down on the bed and began chatting. They were both wonderful to talk to, and we all talked until 2 am since it isn't a school night. They asked so much about America: are there arranged marriages? What has been the difference I've noticed in Americans and Indians? What do most Americans think of Barack Obama? Is cricket popular in America? Do American movies and TV shows accurately portray America? What would I would like to do while I'm in India? When I couldn't really answer that question specifically, they all began to talk in Hindi enthusiastically to brainstorm and made a list of places we should go. :)

The Khan Market was one of them, and we went there on Saturday. Apparently it is one of the nicest markets in Asia. Mami told me that she would take me to their local market sometime, so I could see the "real India" - and I'm so looking forward to that. I want to see nothing less than every ounce of the "real India"; we fool ourselves in any country to think that there is no dirt and grime in the reality beyond the surface of our surroundings.

Before the Khan Market, we went to see India Place, as well as the President's home.




The family has a shop in the Khan Market, and while we waited at the end of the night there, Arnav made me a picture on paint. The "o" in my name is Hugo, their beloved dog who is treated as part of the family, and Arnav added "didi" to my name because that's what he calls me (as well as Khushi). "Didi" is a word the younger brother uses with the elder sister's name. :)



Also, a quick update on today: I bought my first (hopefully of many) kurta, which I personally think it pretty exciting. :) I needed it for a wedding we're going to on Thursday if I can get out of classes, so I'll wear it then.

Love you all! I'll post more soon!

2 comments:

  1. Holly, the kids and I are so excited to follow your adventures in India! This is going to be a great way to expose the girls to a new country!! Praying for you!!!
    April, Rachel, Jenni, and David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,
    I love reading your posts! It's so interesting to see how things are different and the things you are experiencing! I hope everything keeps going well and I look forward to reading more of your posts :)
    Shelby

    ReplyDelete